Game Changing Z-Force™ Power Pack
The 2013 Zero S leverages a completely new battery cell chemistry and configuration. Not only does the ZF11.4 power pack enable you to go beyond 130 miles, it is also designed to last the life of the motorcycle. The result of cutting edge research and development, each cell in the power pack is individually controlled and monitored at all times to ensure maximum health. The integrated onboard charger minimizes charge time and can work in parallel with Zero’s quick charge systems. What’s this all mean? Simply put, the Zero S is the leader for production electric motorcycles in acceleration, range, recharge time and longevity.
- Available in two configurations: ZF8.5 (103 mi) and ZF11.4 (137 mi)
- State of the art new 102 Volt power pack configurations and cell chemistry
- Cells last 2,500 full charge-discharge cycles before hitting 80% capacity, yielding as much as 309,000 miles on the original power pack
- High energy density yields significant range and performance advantages
- Elegant low resistance and highly robust cell interconnect technology
- Advanced battery management system with enhanced 24/7 cell monitoring
- Scalable quick-charge options available to cut recharge times (see specs for details)
- Isolated power systems and 12 volt system for running accessories
- Onboard charger that uses a specially developed and optimized charge profile
Revolutionary Z-Force™ Motor
54 hp, 68 ft-lbs… and incredibly efficient
Zero Motorcycles designed the Z-Force™ motor from the ground up to be compact, efficient and powerful. It provides you with exhilarating acceleration to a top speed of 95 mph. Completely air cooled, the motor is designed to provide a fantastic riding experience minus the need for any regular maintenance. When slowing down, the motor generates electricity that is channeled back into the power pack to help extend ride times.
Frame and Bodywork
Great to look at. Even better to ride.
Aircraft grade aluminum is exclusively used in the construction of the Zero S twin spar frame. It is lightweight, strong and one of the main reasons that the Zero S handles incredibly well. Designed to have a low center of gravity, the Zero S is highly maneuverable and responsive. The motorcycle’s refined appearance is completed with sleek new bodywork to give it a contemporary, aggressive and naked look. The ‘tank’ section of the bodywork features an integrated storage compartment that is both lockable and removable.
Wheels and Brakes
The Zero S uses weight and strength optimized cast wheels that are specifically developed for, and exclusively installed on, the Zero S. For maximum stopping power, the Zero S features robust and easy to modulate brakes with a new Nissin system.
- Only model to feature Zero’s new weight and strength optimized cast wheels
- Nissin brakes are precise, easy to modulate and require little effort
The suspension on the Zero S was developed by Zero to take advantage of the motorcycle's lightweight design. Its inverted front fork is among the lightest in the industry and can be externally adjusted to dial in compression and rebound damping. A rigid double diamond rear swing arm keeps the wheel planted using a custom rear shock with a fully adjustable spring preload and easily tuned damping. The smooth suspension combines with the silence of the powertrain to yield an exhilarating ride that needs to be experienced to be understood.
- Robust triple-clamps for improved bearing pre-loading and durability
- Specialized fork and shock internals
- Unique double diamond aircraft grade aluminum rear swingarm for reduced weight and increased torsional rigidity
- Front adjustments: Compression and rebound damping
- Rear adjustments: Spring preload, compression and rebound damping
Dash and Controls
The dash is designed by Zero to quickly and accurately provide essential information on speed, charge and motor temperature. The Zero S allows you to set the motorcycle’s performance to either Sport or Eco. Want more information about the motorcycle while riding or at home? Try the new Zero Motorcycles app.
- Sport / Eco switch to allow you to select motorcycle performance
- High intensity headlight
- Exceptionally accurate charge indicator
- Ergonomic and durable switch gear (for operation of lights, turn signals, etc.)
- Keyed ignition switch and steering lock for improved security and peace of mind
- Newly designed and comfortable two-up seat
Zero Motorcycles App
Get your Motorcycle Dialed
Using the new Zero Motorcycles app you can see detailed information about your motorcycle such as the time until charged, average watts per mile, total charge cycles and much more. When parked the app allows you to set custom parameters for top speed, maximum torque and maximum regenerative braking. While riding, your phone transforms into a customized dash that provides detailed real-time motorcycle information. Synced using Bluetooth, the app works on iPhone and Android mobile devices.
For more information, see the App User Guide.
Direct Drive Gearing
Instant torque with a twist
Featuring a clutchless direct drive, the Zero S is geared for rapid acceleration and maximum efficiency. Without ever needing to shift, the Zero S provides controlled and powerful acceleration from any speed between 0-95mph. The carbon fiber belt allows the Zero S to achieve minimal frictional losses for increased overall range and is integral to making the powertrain maintenance-free.
Plug in at any standard outlet
The Zero S charging system is integrated into the motorcycle and can be plugged in at any standard outlet. No additional equipment is required for standard charging. This allows you to conveniently charge in your garage, at the office or when you stop at one of your favorite places while enjoying a day out. Plug the Zero S in during the evening, or while at the office, and it is ready to go when you are. Those interested in fast charging can reduce charge times from 0-95% to as little as one hour using the CHAdeMO accessory.